Google
Pinoyagribusiness
July 27, 2024, 07:48:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
affordable vet products
News: A sow will farrow in approximately 114 days.

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: sow  (Read 3617 times)
mr hog
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
sow
« on: August 17, 2007, 08:23:51 AM »

Hi How many times a year would a sow give berth per year?I need to caculate the profit would be,we have 25 sows right now and we go through a 50 kilo bag per day for just the sow feed, so one bag costs 660 p.So it is 1 kilo a day for one sow,so lets just say 8 sacks per year so thats 5280p.If a sow gives birth to a minimum of 10 piglets and we sold them for 1800p each thats 18,000p so if she gives birth to 2 litters per year thats 36,000 if god is good to me and the sow has 3 births thats 54,000p thats a good profit.In the beggining it touch because you have to wait for so long to get this rolling.Please any info would be great help
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 02:45:46 PM »

A sow could farrow/give birth
2.4 times a year (365 days/ 151 days  {114 days(gestation)+30 days(lactating)7 (return to heat)}

you feed a sow depending the stage it is in.
 Your 2 kilo is enough for  dry sow (not pregnant and not lactating)

So i made a sample below it start day1 of pregnacy the cost of feeds is 850 pers sack breeder and 950 lactation.

Age  Days   Kilos     Total     price   Total price

28      2        56       17       952
                          64    2.5      160       17       2720
                           22     3        66       19       1254
                           30     5       150       19      2850
                          144                                  7776

plus 1110 meds and feeds of piglet and 500 med of sow

---------

10 piglets x 1800=   18 000- 9386= 8 614 * 2.4 =20 673.6 per year

estimate lang po ito. It would vary from price of feeds added cost like electricty etc.

No pork for one week makes a man weak!!!
Baboy= Barako, inahin, fattener, kulig
Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:02:14 AM »

Mr Hog, boy you must have some real skinny hogs.     mikey
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 05:18:23 PM »

Mr. hog, you could ask you're feed supplier for a feeding program specific to the brand you are using. Different feed company gives different feeding program although the difference in general is very minimal.

Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
mr hog
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 12:23:23 AM »

Mikey when your sows are pregnant you are not to give to much feeds.Thats what I was told.I am not the one in charge of my farm my brother inlaw is and he knows allot and pigs lol.When I was there a few weeks back the pigs looked in great shape, no skinny.
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 12:36:44 PM »

Mr Hog,maybe I should put our hogs on the Jenny Craig diet then lol,we feed ours alot more than that,especially when pregnant,dry sows are kept skinnier,do believe you may have it backwards,Mr Nimo will be able to answer this for us.Mr Hog,are you breeding with the 3 way upgrade?Large white X landraceX Duroc?
Hogs like any commodity,prices go up and prices come down,in our area now prices are down,prices always jump up more closer to Christmas,the old saying do not count your chickens before they hatch,crumble in our area over P1000.00 per 50 kg sack and climbing,some days I think should have stayed a copra farmer lol. Have a nice day                                mikey
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 12:53:17 PM by mikey » Logged
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 09:42:13 PM »

Mikey when your sows are pregnant you are not to give to much feeds.Thats what I was told.I

I will just elaborate on this.

On the first few days of pregnancy they do not give to much feed because they want the fetus inside the sow to be viable. To much feed sometimes would increase the body temperature of the animal thus it might affect the embryo inside the sow.

After a few days after the embryo settled/ implanted it self in the uterus then the feed  needs to be increased to help for the development of the embryo.

In the latter part of pregnancy the feeds in  changed to lactation for bone development and milk production. At this stage bone development of piglet is rapid and you need calcium to do it. One source of calcium is the feed lactation. If there is no source of calcium the sow will digest some of  its own bone to give to its piglet to develop its own. This would result weak leg for the sow because of the bone cannibalism that happens.

After farrowing the sow is given more feeds some computes it as 200-250 grams per piglet+ maintenance.
it means if the sow maintenance is 2 kilos + it has 10 piglets x 250 grams =2500 grams or 2.5 kgs= 4.5 kgs of feed per day.

Swine Manual Raffle
mr hog
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 10:21:09 PM »

Ok when the sows are pregnant he does not give much feed because the babys inside wright?put when they give berth he feeds them more this what he is doing.Oh man I'am confused now I'am just the financer lol not the farmer I'am just trying to calculate the profit.I now theres a big profit to be maid in the pig buss..Anyway mr mikey what province is your farm located in?
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 11:36:30 PM »

I do believe you need also to learn the in and out of your business to make it more profitable.

Swine Manual Raffle
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 02:25:57 AM »

Mr Hog, do not feel bad,I only pay he bills also.I did buy my brother-in-law a book on hogs and he did attent a seminar which really helped him out.The farm is located in Negros Oriental,outside LaLibertad,thanks to Mr Nemo for his valueable information,if you try and track profits,you will drive yourself crazy,I have learned just to relax and look at the big picture,I think it is hard to figure out how many piglets your sows will have in a given year,you have outside forces beyond anyones control,some sows have more ,some have less.Have a nice day              mikey.
mr hog
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 08:32:19 AM »

Mikey your farm is near the Dumaguete?wow I have so many relatives who lives there.I never had the time to visit there when I was there ..next time for sure.Are farm is in davao.Nemo I am trying to learn as much as I can but there is such a big language barrer.
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 03:20:16 PM »

Mr Hog, relax,before you drive yourself crazy man,I stated before trying to count your chickens before they hatch may turn out to be a big disappointment,We look at our sows on a one to one bases,some are better producers some are less,I think it would be very difficult to do a yearly profit projection ,how much does it cost to operate your farm on a monthly bases,how many piglets are born in any given month,take it one step at a time,operating cost always rise,food,labour,electric,so on and so on,we do ours on a year end bases,what type of breeding do you do?the most common now is the 3 way cross,a good book can really help you,Mr Nemo sells books on hogs,would be a worth while investment,remember the better you educate yourself the better in the long run,we both live in Canada,farmers are business people in the PROTEIN DELIVERY BUSINESS that is what Canadian farmers refer to themselves,as for the distance from Dumageute City to our place,approx. 4-5 hours up into the mountains 1 way,all buyers come from Cebu for livestock. have a nice day    mikey
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 11:32:07 PM »

Well atleast Mr. hog you are trying to learn bit by bit. In the long run it will just be like a part of you. It would be like instinct. If you just need any clarification about swine raising jsut post here. I would try to help.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 08:28:42 AM by nemo » Logged

Swine Manual Raffle
mr hog
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 01:39:48 PM »

Hey nemo how many sows do you have?My piggery is beside a banana farm and now its for sale what sould I do?If houses go there I will be in trouble I just finished building 80 sow cages.The land is not cheep 1000 per meter and he is selling 7000 meters oh now I am nerves.I sure would love to buy it so it would be like a buffer zone,I could plant something there,maybe We could talk him down in price..Anyway folks I need some help on this has anybody been in this problem?help please..thankx
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 05:57:57 PM »

Actually i do not have a farm. I used to work at 2 different feed company as a Technical veterinarian. I go from one raiser to another to check their animal etc.

If you are in a agricultural zone and not a residential then the pressure is not that high. My brother piggery is located in a residential area and even though his farm have a little smell people are not petitioning him because he know how to "Makisama". If there are pigs that are runt or small  what he do is call some of the neighbor to slaughter the pig and make letson etc for everyone. So in the end everybody is happy.

To minimize order in your farm build a good lagoon or biogas so it could minimize the odor coming from your farm. And if possible plant trees between you and the banana plantation like ilang ilang and sampaguita so even if the wind blows to their direction what they will smell is the scent of sampaguita.

Another solution is by building a high wall around your farm but it would cost you alot.

The best solution is like you said is to buy the land as  a buffer but like you said it is costly. Just hope that they would have difficulty finding a buyer you could ask for a lower price.

Swine Manual Raffle
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

< >

Privacy Policy