Google
Pinoyagribusiness
April 20, 2024, 01:04:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
affordable vet products
News: 150 days from birth is the average time you need to sell your pigs for slaughter and it is about 85 kgs on average.

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Point Of Interest  (Read 484 times)
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:46:27 AM »

According to some in Canada.The pietrain and pietrain crosses of hogs are a total waste of time.I have been told the meat from the pietrain and the crosses is of lower quality than of the other breeds.I have some crossbreeds myself and I can say they are smaller and take longer to grow.I cannot say that I have ever eaten one but I know in N.America this breed in almost unheard of.
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:53:27 AM »

Why did I say the Pietrain as a breed was a waste of time.According to one of the largest hog breeders in Canada the Pietrain as a breed is associated with the Hallothane gene for Porcine Stress Syndrome.This was one of the reasons given by the USA when live hogs were exported there.Over the years the USA has bred this stress gene out of the hog population in their herds.This stress gene makes exports less desirable as the meat quality is downgraded.Overall this breed is not as common as many of the other breeds of hogs and worldwide numbers remain low.

I am not here to tell anyone that they should or should not continue to use this breed in their operations but gave this information for educational purposes only.One should realize that this breed has an inherit problem associated with PSS.

Sorry for not explaining this better the first time.

nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:27:59 PM »

Pietrain here in the philipiines is used for their bulkness. Although it have a negative trait but interms of economics it is overshadowed. Unlike in other countries you can classify meat and price is according to its classification, here in the Philippines it is not as strict as the other countries standard.

No pork for one week makes a man weak!!!
Baboy= Barako, inahin, fattener, kulig
Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

< >

Privacy Policy