Google
Pinoyagribusiness
July 27, 2024, 02:22:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
affordable vet products
News: 150 days from birth is the average time you need to sell your pigs for slaughter and it is about 85 kgs on average.

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to manage hogs waste "smell"?  (Read 2808 times)
acenie
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2007, 08:33:20 AM »

How to manage hogs waste  specially "smell"? What pesticides or insecticides that I can spray. thanx.
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 09:06:37 AM »

Proper disposal of manure is a must to minimize the smell of your farm. SOme put biogas digester. OThers put activited charcoal in the manure so it will absorb the odor. Some feeds are added with yucca extract by the manufacturer so the manure of the pig will give less odor. Some would dry the manure using the heat from the sun. So every time the animal will defecate they will scoop it and put directly under the sun.

The less the moist in your pen the less the smell of the farm. So always put the drinker near the gutter area and not in front of the pen.

No pork for one week makes a man weak!!!
Baboy= Barako, inahin, fattener, kulig
Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
mr hog
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 10:40:27 AM »

Hey would it not be easyer to have a septic tank?Are farm does not smell that much because we have a septic tank and wash the pigs 2 times a day.Then you could get the big truck come and suck it all up hehe.
antz
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 10:45:52 AM »

Is it feasible to have a septic tank for the pen? Mr. Nemo do you have any info on this?
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 12:40:34 PM »

Yes it is okay to put a septic tank. I do believe that biogas digester are the advance form of septic tank.

In huge farm they put a septic tank or digester and then a lagoon where the excess water would go. THe design of the septic tank is the same as what we use in our CR. IT is just a big box type of excavation that would vary depending upon the number of your animal.

Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 02:53:38 PM »

Dr.Nemo,lagoons really stink,at least the ones here in Canada,people complain about the hog smell because of the large lagoons,pollution is what some people call it here now(air pollution).I think this is a very difficult problem to solve,needs more than 1 answer,
Have a good day doc.                       mikey
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 03:06:12 PM »

Lagoons must be also maintained. YOu have to put some plant like kangkong. Put some filter like charcoal and sand and you must have an aerator to kill the bacteria.

So the idea is that solid part should stay in the biogas digester to create methane then the excess water will be directed to different layers of lagoon. THe first could be layers of sands then second layer would be activated charcoal then the last will be  aerated to kill bacteria.  THen you could put kangkong on top of the water so it would absorbs some excess nutrients from the water.

THen the semisolid part that was trapped by the sands will be sun dried and can be use as fertilizer

Swine Manual Raffle
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 07:10:40 AM »

Greetings to all.

I have attach an article about swine manure in the download section of this forum.

Here is the link. swine manure management

Happy reading and hope it could help.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 07:14:00 AM by nemo » Logged

Swine Manual Raffle
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 04:16:05 PM »

Dr.Nemo,this is a tough one,myself we could build a lagoon at our place,no one will complain about the odors,I would not build one,lagoons are large ponds dug out from the earth,in the Philippines,you have the rainy season,your lagoon could over flow,now you have a real problem,say it got into the ground water,your drinking source for water,could kill or will make you very sick for one.major pollution problem.I think the bio gas has a real future in the Philippines,recycle is a better option.Seperate the solids and dry under the sun is another option for your crops,this is where we are now,will want bio gas later on to help lower farm operating cost(s).One would need to see and stand next to one of these lagoons to really know what I am trying to say here,stink,stink,stink,and more stink.Large hog operations in Canada use lagoons because it is cheap,and the Govt. lets them get away with it,people here do complain about open lagoons and the smell they emit.Have A Good Day Doc.         mikey
mr hog
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 09:46:32 PM »

Hi all we have set up a biogas in our new septic tank. You will see when I fix my comp hehe.I would like to know what special mechanical stuff needed to run a generator plus the cost to set up this project.How many heads would you need to run a generator for 24 hrs?.I would like to try to design a new style piggery totally inclosed and have a large fan push out the smell high up in the sky.I need to have a plan inplace if people start moving close to are piggery and start complaining as I have spent large money setting this piggery up.I hope you can understand what I am trying to explain..
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 12:45:29 AM »

Mikey,

yes the rainy season would be a problem for farms with lagoon. Most probably the open lagoon in Canada you mentioned does not have a biogas digester. Countries with cold whether does not have a good success rate in building digester for it need a little heat to enhance the production gas and activity of bacteria. Countries in the tropic like the Philippines have this kind of weather so it advantageous for those who want to build a biogas digester.

Isn't it most farm in Canada is almost isolated from near-by houses?  I have a friend who is now working in Canada and he said the farm is almost in the middle of nowhere. If i an not mistaking he is in mannitoba.

Mr. Hog,

I haven't seen a operational biogas with a generator. I have this uncle who has a farm with this kind of set up. He have 300 sows and his farm produce enough electricity his entire farm is run by the electricity from his digester. I have plan to visit his farm but i do not have the time to do so.

The basic component would be a generator, a engine (car, multicab or even a truck engine) a reservoir of the gas.  The basic principle is that there is a regulator placed between the reservoir and engine so there would be a constant flow of gas to the intake of the engine. The engine would run in a constant revolution  that could maintain the revolution requirement of the generator to produce energy. The engine is connect to the transmission and then the transmission is connected to the generator.

Swine Manual Raffle
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 03:22:05 PM »

Dr. Nemo,Depends on where your hog operation is located,some operations here run 1000 plus sows easy.Manitoba is a hog hub,other areas of the country,operations are closer to subdivisions and this is where the complaints start as the wind blows the the foul odors around.nothing more unpleasant than that smell as you try and relax outside with your friends on a nice summer day.Some of these lagoons are really large and open and the farms use the manure to grow grain,grain fed hogs are of better quality,Canada is known for its high quality pork,the USA grows more corn so they feed their hogs more corn,corn makes for a fatter pork.Manitoba is a cold place to be in the winter time,no thanks like the coast here better.There is more concerns about polluting the ground water,larger operations will look for those far away places where there is nobody to worry about.   Good Day To You Doc.              mikey

P.S. still find it hard to believe that someone would pay so much for a hog.
boy we must of got a super deal on our hogs back in 2005,no hog is worth that kind of money.
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 07:03:55 AM »

Corn is a source of energy and if this energy is not utilized it would be converted to fat.

Now i know why they are located in mannitoba.

It is really a problem if you're place is that close to a 1000 sow etc level farm. Especially if they this regard people near-by. For sure in terms of waste management Canada has a better science compared to other country. So hope that farm near-by your place would invest in swine management

Swine Manual Raffle
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 07:04:49 AM »

Mikey, that is  how much quality breeder cost now a days in the Philippines.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 08:08:50 AM by nemo » Logged

Swine Manual Raffle
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

< >

Privacy Policy