Google
Pinoyagribusiness
October 20, 2024, 08:46:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
affordable vet products
News: A sow will farrow in approximately 114 days.

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hog prices explain? and any swine production info ? foreign investment  (Read 1215 times)
eldon

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »

hi, can someone briefly explain the farm gate prices per kilo in the phils? sorry just a new filipino here, i;m a rancher from canada and i want to invest in a hog venture in phils. we base our live weight pricing per hundred weight and in pounds (lbs)here. i am aware of the peso.  any information about hogs in phils would help
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:41:17 AM by eldon » Logged
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:10:08 AM »

Eldon
Different country,different pricing system.Seems the live weight prices are based on per kilo bases.Unlike N.America,our pricing system based on hundred weight and pounds.So,a kilo is 2.2 lbs.If you were raising fatteners or growers/finishers say in the 70-90 kg. range in the Philippines that works out to 154 lbs.-198 lbs. range.Prices paid per kilo liveweight.

Every region and island has its own pricing system.Check the thread publishes the federation farmgate prices and you can get a good idea of the current prices in your area.
eldon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »

Thanks sir, seems like the husbandry and marketing trends are very similair to north america.  my wife is from there and i would really like to invest in some land near her place in the bicol region. i have been there several times and really enjoyed myself. i know i am unaware of many things in the philippines, but i do think there is a lot of potential, as this climate suits outdoor operations , and raising hogs seems like a great business.
in canada, our hogs are confined all year and most operations are under some form of bio security to even enter a facility. i really support the outdoor, holistic approach but in canada our winters are way to cold for such ventures other than cattle, grain fed finishing feedlots.
in the philippines when a producer sells a live 85 pig, what is a realistic cost for the feed expenses. what sort of feeds are given , a total mixed ration in the form of premixed grain/mineral?  is growing corn and some form of protein supplement such as soybeans possible? what is the common feed source for these animals? i have seen some operations there. with concrete floors and cages with a shed covering, used as a farrowing barn, i love that concept. any more info??
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:18:52 AM »

You are not the only foreigner here.I myself am also a Canadian with agri interest in the Philippines.

Well,our sows are confined also much like in Canada with cement flooring,metal cages,metal roof with bamboo siding and netting to prvent any bats or birds from entering the barns,bio security measure.No visitors allowed.

Our hogs eat concentrates much like in N.America.We buy the base mix from SM and then buy the rest to blend our feeds,works okay for us.So,starter,grower and finisher and the mix for the sows and boars.Sure you could grow your own corn and soybeans if the beans will grow in your area and possible other forages.

Sorry have no knowledge on outdoor hog raising,confinement means less trouble for us.
Expences are high and feed costs are rising.Just like in N.America there are the highs and the low periods for prices.Speaking only for myself we have found if you can control your product from the farmgate to the dinner plate you have a better chance for success.We have found selling the muscle product has given us our best gain in terms of profit.

Depending on your area the prices will differ with the feed costs.

Good Luck
CaMoTe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 12:30:44 AM »

We buy the base mix from SM and then buy the rest to blend our feeds,works okay for us.

you mean SM the mall?

Speaks softly, but carries a sidearm...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

< >

Privacy Policy