Google
Pinoyagribusiness
September 08, 2024, 07:37:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
affordable vet products
News: A sow will farrow in approximately 114 days.

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BEST SOWS TO KEEP?  (Read 1677 times)
mr hog
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2007, 01:58:51 PM »

Doc we have close to 100 hundred piglets now more to come in the next few months.I want to start to build my sow population Sould we just keep the ones with 16 nipples?I now the more nipples the better we have some with 18 nipples.lets say out of 100 piglets how many would be good breeders?any info would be great thankx
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 02:13:22 PM »

The one with more nipples have an advantage.

Things to consider:

The animal came from a sow with a good record.
Legs should be without deformity.
It should also have a good FCR.
Growth rate, if the animal averages 85 kg above in 150 days is a good candidate.

If you would need around 20 new sow you need to have around 40 candidates to monitor.  Start to choose at around 2-3  months old then final selection would be at 150 days or 5 month.

No pork for one week makes a man weak!!!
Baboy= Barako, inahin, fattener, kulig
Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
mr hog
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 02:16:14 PM »

Thankx doc for the info.
doncorleone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 11:31:58 AM »

WOW copy that. I have also a sow that has a 16 nipples and i want to get 2 or 3 piglet to become gilt, so i have to wait 150 days or 5 mos for final selection. thanks for the info Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin
reghis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 05:11:25 PM »

Sir Good morning im new at this business , Because i have 5 sow they are already 8 months old and they are all pregnant, the question are if there any standard or minimum piglets of one sow can give and must achieve..and how we will tell that this is good sow that we must keep or we must sell..

thanks and more power,

reghis
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 08:47:10 PM »

Per backyard standard the minimum should be 10 piglets weaned(maiwalay).

In  essence the animal should always give birth to 10 piglets above per farrowing (panganganak).

Just remember that in the first farrowing  usually it will give birth to a small litter in terms of quantitity and quality. If at first farrowing (unang panganganak) it only give birth to 8 piglets it does not mean that you should replace or cull the sow. You should wait for the second  farrowing if it farrow  less than 8 then cull the sow  but if above 8 then retain the animal especially if the first batch gives you a good average weight on slaughter day otherwise cull the sow if the pigs have a terrible slaughter weight.

This is assuming that  there is no death on the first and second batch.

On the third farrowing if it does not give birth to 10 piglets then cull the animal.

Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
reghis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 09:25:13 PM »

Thanks for the information it will help us a lot..
reghis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 09:48:19 PM »

Doc, my first sow and 2nd sow got pregnant they are the first batch then there due date 114 days last December 25,2007.. ang kaso my first sow ung una at pangalawang month ng pag bubuntis okay ..pero napansin nlng namin na parang huminto ang pag laki ng tyan.. pero the second sow okay nmn.. lumaki at nanganak ng 11 piglets pero ung isa.. na first sow nilabas nya din.. 15 piglets not full develop.. what is the cause ..

at yung first sow maari pabang mag bigay ng maganda sa pangalawang batch..

thanks a lot..

Reghis
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 03:41:04 PM »

I will answer this in the disease section
http://pinoyagribusiness.com/forum/diseases/mummified_fetus-t349.0.html
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 04:03:38 PM by nemo » Logged

Swine Manual Raffle
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

< >

Privacy Policy