Google
Pinoyagribusiness
March 28, 2024, 11:56:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
affordable vet products
News: A sow will farrow in approximately 114 days.

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative Feeds.  (Read 37024 times)
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 04:05:35 AM »

By:Mr Ignacio Obrero in the Philippines
Ignacio says that many farmers believe that pigs will only grow properly with commercial feeds.This is not true.In many areas where farmers cannot afford expensive feeds they are using local plants as feed substitutes.And they are getting good results.One of these plants is cassava (Mannihot esculenta).It can be used to replace maize or other grains.The farmers gather cassava tubers,leaves and the juicy parts of the stem.They boil them together in water.They add a little salt and a little amount of fish meal.The fish meal provided protein which is essential part of the pigs diet.So this becomes an easy,cheap feed for the pig.And to have a steady supply,some farmers plant cassava on a monthly basis.This way,they can harvest cassava any time of the year and use it as livestock feed.Remember that your animal needs a variety of different feeds.Give animals plenty of grain or a grain substitute,a source of protein,vitamins and minerals,and adequate water at all times.
Good Farming:
doods

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 02:03:08 PM »

hi doc...
    doc ang balak ko po kasi ngayon eh bumili na lang ng mga napagtabasan ng gulay sa palengke bilang alternative feeds ok lang po ba ito di po kaya magkaroon ng epekto ito sa kalusugan ng baboy?thank you ....

doods..............
doods

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 02:34:24 PM »

doc...sa patuloy po na pagtaas ng feeds at pataas na pataas ang presyo ng baboy may tendency po ba na humina ang pigerry bisnis sa bansa..........thank you

doods............
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 02:55:48 PM »

It would reach a plateau  but i don't think that it will go down drastically.

Reason:

1. Mindanao area will start to export this year (hopefully) to singapore and japan so some of the supply will be diverted there. So even if the Luzon area volume will increase it will not be an over supply scenario.

2. If the hot weather will continue like this poultry production will be affected. And supply will go down and price go up.  In essence price of poultry and pork will go hand in hand (Hindi magkakalayo ang presyo nila)

3. If price of feed goes up, even price of fish will go up. Some of the fish like tilapia, bangus, etc eat also commercial. And if this happen other fish product will increase.

4. Smuggled goods, because there is also shortage of pork in China smuggled pork is not much an issue unless they will smuggle from Brazil.

5.  Filipino love pork so even if the price of pork is high people will tend to still buy.

This is per my opinion.  Only time would tell if my speculation would be accurate.

No pork for one week makes a man weak!!!
Baboy= Barako, inahin, fattener, kulig
Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
destiny_unfair2003

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 09:38:30 PM »

doc nemo and to other who knows the answer pls help me.

is it okay to feed my fattener caimito leaves as appetizer?
my mom do this everyday after feeding them.
i just want to know if this is okay.
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 07:07:13 PM »

As long as it is just a dessert, camito leaves and fruit is used by some as antidiarrhea.

Sorry for the late reply, currently i am a bit busy this day.

Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
cire

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 07:39:54 PM »

Doc,

kapag papakainin ko po ng tira tirang pagkain galing sa kapit bahay, gaano karami po ba ang ipapakinin ko per baboy? gaano karami ang dapat ihalo na feeds (grower, finisher etc..) ok lng po ba kung purong tira tirang pagkain lng?

Thanks!
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »

Feed them as long as they want to eat.

It is not advisable to mix commercial feeds and leftover.

If you want to feed them leftover be sure to cook it. ANd also don't expect that your animal will grow fast.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 01:40:14 PM by nemo » Logged

Swine Manual Raffle
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 10:03:14 PM »

Doc.
We have gone back to experimenting with the feeds.After doing the math,we figure for 16% cp,one cooks 20kg of corn to 30kg rice bran for the base mix,we also buy any left over vegetables at the market at days end,right now squash is cheap,we also add salt and molasses.Looking for cheap rice to add to the mix,was thinking about cooking 1kg rice with the mixture.Mulunggay leaves added when available especially for the pregnant sows with calicum.When the crops mature will add   different vegetables and shredded cooked coconut.Thinking we should seperate the coconut milk first,cook the coconut and add the milk once the feed has cooled.The hogs are not sick and we started at the grower level and will take them through the finishing stage.The weaned piglets get commercial feeds,will try the 21%cp later on them sometime in 2009 and see what happens this time.Once the talapia tanks get built,we will have fish meal to add.
We do realize we will have a longer growing period,this should offset the cost of the higher commercial feeds.This may not work for everyone but we feel for ourselves,worth a try and we will see what happens.If need be, we can add commercial vitamins to help out.
This is something we are working on at present.Doc.any thoughts about this would be great.

Mikey
Mustang Sally Agri Farms:
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 07:56:27 PM »

If this would make your farming profitable then go for it.

Download this manual. it is about nutrition . DOWNLOAD . Just click the attachment at the left portion

Swine Manual Raffle
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 07:51:11 AM »

Doc.
good website,too complicated for the average man to understand.A hog is a hog,will eat almost anything.I guess trial and error is the only way to find the answer(s).
Thanks
mikey
Mustang Sally Agri Farms:
sanico

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 08:42:33 PM »

Dyophri,
How do you often gives malungay to your pigs ( fattener,gilt/sow and piglets) ?
Do we have to cook? What is the ratio against feeds given?
Doc Nemo, what is your opinion?
Thanks.

i give malunggay for my pigs, dami dito kse.  you'll be surprise kung gaano karami ang vitamins na nakukuha mula rito. i also give kamoteng baging and kamoteng kahoy leaves.

yun bang gabing san fernando e yung may malalaking dahon na halos kalahati ng payong ang lapad?
Aldabog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 07:09:17 AM »

Due to high cost of commercial feeds people now tend to resort to alternative feeds.

Some uses leaf-overs from restaurant, fast foods etc.

Some feed their animals plants like ipil ipil leaves, camote, duck weed, banana etc.

If you have read some article about alternative feeds please post it here for the benefit of everyone. 

Thanks.
Hello Doc,meron po kaming small backyard piggery ang pinapakain po namin ay yung tinatawag nilang sapal ng taho kalahati commercial feeds at ang kalahati eh sapal ng taho ang napapansin ko po eh mabagal silang lumaki ano po sa palagay ninyo ang kulang d2 sa pinapakain namin dapat pa ba akong magdagdag ng amino acid, vitamin mineral can you give me some idea kung ano pa ang dapat naming idagdag pa sa pagkain ng baboy salamat po Smiley
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 11:01:26 AM »

If you mix commercial and other alternative feeds for sure growth of the animal will slowdown.

If you want your animal to grow fast then give it pure commercial feeds.

Swine Manual Raffle
vicbug

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 04:05:05 AM »

Why do farmers need to have alternative feeds? Hindi ba kumikita ang hog farmers kung commercial feeds ang gamitin nya? Well baka yung mga areas na hindi naabot ng comm'l feeds ang gumagamit ng alternatives. Somehow, this maybe a matter of competition with regards to liveweght price, please correct me, i need to know why here in phils, farm gate price differs from one place to another as shown on the other forum by Slyfox Price Updates, is it because others were using alternative feeds?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to:  

< >

Privacy Policy