housing design

<< < (6/8) > >>

mikey:
SamX
As of now have no pictures of the goat house,will post later this year.I do have a picture of the hog barns under the swine section;Lets See,Skyfox told me he thought they looked like a church,holy hogs,hehehe.Because production was so expensive last year we sold off the hog herd,now wish to get back into the hog business but in a smaller way as farming is not cheap as a business venture these days but hogs are good producers.

Beans,would not matter what type of beans as most beans have about 18% protein except soy which is higher in protein.I think they are called winged beans and mongo beans,poultry really love mongo beans and they are small no need for milling.Thinking about mixing corn and beans together for a general feed for the livestock.

Once the numbers of anglos increase,the price will come down,true they are expensive.You have some F1s,if you could breed them to a purebred anglo buck then you will have some F2s(75%)anglo,you now have some milking goats.Personally I feel hybrids due better over the purebreeds,seem to be a stronger goat in general.My plan is to have hybrids over purebreeds for dairy.
I have found that napier cut younger is preferred over older napier,interesting goats like rice straw,not much or any protein in rice straw,is there?add molasses to most feed stuffs and goats seem to eat.
I wish your UBGSRA memebers all the best with their dairy venture next year.

p.s.I think pigeon peas is something like lima beans,not sure tho.

Farmers Feed The World:

goatman:
There was alot to read in this thread, so honestly i did not thoroughly read it b4 posting now.
I will go back, to review more later, when my eyes not so tired.

I have asked this question often, and wish to hear your thoughts, as i am new to this forum.

Why is the discussion of Housing Goats in Philippines, always so prominant?
There are more goats raised in the country, with no housing. There are certainly benefits to housed goats, but i do not hear much about the downsides of housing goats elevated as these examples show.

First, i wonder if there has ever been any study on increased ailments such as pneumonia, or other respirtory problems, in association with elevated housing.
The expense of such housing is never calculated in ROI, in comparison to shelter based on ground.

And if there is no reason for Raised housing with goats farmed in similar climatic conditions as Philippines, why is there still such a focus on such a large scale, capital investment?

I wonder these questions, because from my experience in Philippines, there seems to be a lack of interest due to the cost factor, in smaller goat farmers increasing to medium sized operations.
Most advice given, centres around the housing first.

And why is the Raised housing/cut and carry method, focused on more, in comparison to the Cheaper, simple methods of ground Shelter and grazing methods?

I think large growth would come in medium sized commercial herds in Philippines, if both options were equally represented in associations and such.
I think there is obvious places for Raised housing such as these examples. Milking parlours in sizes larger than 20 head.
Purebred, breeding stock breeders.

But in commercial operations, i dont see the need or benefit to developing such housing.
The money would be better spent, buying more does, would it not?

kev

nemo:
Most people who asked for goat housing are people who like to invest in livestocks in long term.

There is a book about goat farming here in the Philippines which includes everything from housing to ROI. 
In making a house certainly the downside is the cost but as business minded person they will just look at it as an investment.

Most do cut and carry to maximize the land area. Not all farmers have vast land that their animal can roam around.

mikey:
Kev
It would not be fair for me to comment for the goat industry as a whole as we do not belong to any goat assoc. in the Philippines,there are members on this forum who are assoc. with the national federation.
Back in 2005 when we started with goats,safe to say the national average for kid losses were approx. 60% yearly.Also with more expensive pb. breeds imported into the country,management became more of an issue,housing was one of them.From my own experience,once we built better housing our losses dropped below 5% yearly.Raised flooring,7ft. off the ground made it easier for the caretakers to clean and our worm loads dropped,goats are also checked daily for health issues,greater control overall.True,once housing is built the overhead increases,personally I never rely on ROIs anylonger,so many different factors come into play that can throw any ROIs off,location is one of them,our area is remote to begin with so our overhead in general is higher.Also if I build a goat house,all around me feel they also need a house for their goats.
One problem with a house 7ft.off the ground is that in the rainy season,cooler air comes through the flooring and causes problems for does kidding.Our solutation is having kidding pens only 3ft. off the ground,works well.
True if your stocking rates are too high in your barn,goats will develope a cold leading to more serious problems,adjustments have to be made until one finds the right balance.
Security is another issue,takes more people to watch over the herd if they are free grazing and chasing after them rounding them up.In our area with the jungle it is easy to lose goats.Cut and carry is more labour intensive,expensive, but greater control overall.Every farm has to make their own management decisions as to what is best for their operation.When one is paying top dollar for expensive goats,security is a big issue and confinement with cut and carry out weighs overhead.

Like I stated,I cannot talk for the industry as a whole but from my own personal experience.

mikey
Farmers Feed The World:

samX:
kev,
one of the downside of going to elevated and better housing is i think only the cost.

my advantages as of now are the ease of cleaning, no mortality as of now on kids and lambs,more healthy flocks.

my system is semi intensive because our farm is just a hectare.cut and carry and i let them graze when the weather permits.

here in p.i. during the rainy months when it rains it really pours. and for our place where there are no mountains(rice land) and large trees to barricade during storms it really affects our animals thats why we do have high mortlities before.

i coudnt sacrifice the welfare and health of my animals during rains and storms thats why i invest more on housing.

mikey,
the group is lucky enough to have darwin tinasas of greener pastures as a visitor for 2 days. i dont know if you know him. he's from davao and raises dairy anglo nubians and been successful. he's a farmer scientist of PCARRD.unfortunately he has to go to the dairy congress on thursday.

he says that indigonofera and mullberry do really have an effect on milk volumes of goat. and having different kind of forage also helps. at least 5 different types.

here's another goat house design:
doc lazaro farm
baliuag,bulacan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page