Google
Pinoyagribusiness
March 29, 2024, 01:08:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
affordable vet products
News: 150 days from birth is the average time you need to sell your pigs for slaughter and it is about 85 kgs on average.

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PL 480 news update  (Read 2147 times)
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2010, 11:53:11 AM »

Due to my connections in the goat business,I have been talking with one of the breeders of nubians that is part of this package.Some of the email has been deleted for personal reasons.

I am so glad someone is interested in what is happening ! All goats are ADGA registered. How did you find  out who was shipping goats ??

Daniel ******** has been in charge of the Dairy Goat portion of the shipment.
His assoc. Mr. ****** & 3 gentlemen from the Philippines came to our farm to look at the stock & check registrations. I believe they found most of us by being referred by breeders they had already contacted.

We are in the Pacific Northwest. The six breeders from our immediate area all breed & show ADGA registered dairy goats. Some also have Grade A dairies. Our goats show & milk. All 6 of us have stock that competes at the National level & I believe 5 of the 6 have had animals in the National spotlight sales.

I know most of the folks in the Oregon group as well & they also have well bred stock.

The does coming your way, at least from this area are top blood lines. These does are in top shape & will travel with signed registrations. They should arrive in the same condition as they are not going to be traveling long. *****************************, ********************************************************************************. I live 10 miles from the export point.

******************************, as we will be most interested in how they adjust.

Pat L****
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:02:06 AM »

I have been told by some breeders,some goats have already left Seattle Wa. for the Philippines.Some of these breeders are asking me if I can tell them what happened to the goats they sold for the export to the RP.Breeders in N.America have concerns about the stocks they have bred and would like to be informed about their performance in a hot and tropical country.Some of the does coming are already in milk.Some are SGCH,real nice bloodlines from WA,OR.Wyoming,Nebraska and Colorado.

Does anyone know if any goats have arrived yet?Where are they being held,Cebu??
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 10:42:09 AM »

Janelle A. of Nebraska was the farm the goats from 3 states spent 60 days at in quarantine while undergoing testing.These 3 states Wyoming,Nebraska and Colorado shipped 64 heads,she tells me about even for bucks and does.20 hds-Toggs,10 hds-saanen,4 hds-lamancha,17 hds-nubian and 13 hds-alpine.These goats are already in the Philippines or are stuck in Wa. state due to some paper work delays.There seems to be a good selection of dairy breeds to help move the Philippine dairy industry into the next phase of Dairy Philippines.

neodragon0l

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 11:41:57 PM »

that's not a lot.  I thought they would ship more than that to save costs.  I thought around 400 was shipped.  Definitely a good hit of genetic infusion. 
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 12:21:17 PM »

I am Pat's daughter in law Dawn, I worked with a lady named Connie who was from Texas and came in with the shipment of Sheep and Boer goats. Anyway everything was suppose to fly out Monday Aug 16th this did not happen a bunch of sheep and Boer goats flew out but to my knowledge no Dairy goats.  Tuesday - Thursday I helped Connie sort and check to make sure that all of the animals were getting fed properly.  They had lots of paperwork mix ups because the tattoo's in the dairy goats were very hard to read.  They also could not get the Washington state veterinary to sign off so they could ship them.  The last information I had was they decided to truck them back to Huston Texas for transport to the Philippines.   Everything was gone Friday the 20th.

Hope this helps

Dawn

In the shipment that was housed at Shorno's I did not see any toggs and only 1-2 lamancha, they were primarily saanen, alpine and nubian there was approx 600 animals that did not get out in the first shipment, that were then trucked back to Texas to be shipped to the Philippines from Huston.  Approx. 90 Dorper and Katadin sheep, 60 Boer's and the remainder dairy goats
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:23:11 PM by mikey » Logged
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »

hopefully this goat survives our climate.

Acclimatization is a key factor here.

No pork for one week makes a man weak!!!
Baboy= Barako, inahin, fattener, kulig
Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 08:29:20 AM »

Doc
I have seen some of the pedigree papers for some of these goats and I can tell you by far this is the best importation of bloodlines since goats have been imported into the Philippines.Some of the doelings are offsprings of SGGCH and SGCH,impressive bloodlines and because the whole deal was brokered by the US Govt. only quality stocks were chosen for this export order PL 480.

The real question becomes this,who will be on the receiving end of these goats?And who in the country is really set up and able to care for these goats,thats the real question.The Goat Federation expects so many and the Govt. will take so many.True some will die because of the lack and understanding it will take to get these goats to become climatized.

If the Govt. was real smart,they would hold off and only give the stocks out to those they know can really care and breed these top of the line bloodlines.In the end the Philippines has to repay the US Govt the monies owed in 30 years time.These bloodlines are too important to just hand out to anyone who wants them either from the provinces or the Goat Federation.

Will be watching how this all plays out.Lets hope the Govt. mades a wise decision about the welfare of these important bloodlines.

With the proper care and attention to detail,these stocks will adjust.In truth,its the offspring of these foundation stocks that holds the key for the success of Dairy Philippines.
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 09:21:01 AM »

Its now November 2010 and what has happened to these goats from PL 480.As of now I have not heard of anyone on the receiving end of getting any of these animals from this importation order.Some of the American producers would like to know what has happened to the stocks they sold are making out in a tropical country.The saga continues.
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 12:42:04 PM »

i have heard unconfirmed report that these animals are in the stocks farms in different locations in the Philippines.

So, ask your local RFU's if they already have these PL480 goats.

Again, these are unconfirmed report. I am not sure whether he/she is talking about an old importation of goat or the new PL480 importation
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 12:59:26 PM by nemo » Logged

No pork for one week makes a man weak!!!
Baboy= Barako, inahin, fattener, kulig
Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »

word has it,goats under this program are now testing positive for CAE in the Philippines.Funny thing all these goats passed a number of tests for different illnesses like CAE,CL and Johns desease and many more while they were still on American soil.The test for CAE is questional at best.A goat can test positive one time and in 6 months time test negative,the same goat.Who really knows what the true story is here.
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 12:51:33 PM »

I received a email today telling me there is another import order in the works from the USA.This next import is suppose to take place sometime around Feb. 2011.The goats they are looking for range from 5 months to 24 months old.At this time of the year I would say,will be hard to find any 5 month old goats here.
Mustang Sally Farm

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 11:05:14 AM »

This will prove to be interesting.When the goats were in lock down in the US,for the most part they were housed together,males and females and the start of the breeding season.Now if housed together,different breeds,the strongest and biggest bucks will have the largest share of the does.This would mean there is a great chance the offspring that will be born in the RP will in fact be crossbreeds at the F1 level.We know that at the F1 level,offspring can take more after the sire side or can take after more on the dams side,unpredictable.What will become of these F1 males??Unless one is line-breeding at the F1 level,these bucks are rather uselss as genetic material.I hope these questionable bucks will not be pawned off on the rural provincial farmers (silent majority) as PL480 goats from the USA.I wonder what or if any safety net is in place, not to pawn these off on those with less experience in the business of goat genetics.The million dollar question.
Mustang Sally Farm

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 11:28:59 PM »

One of my American contacts has just emailed me to say  that more interest from the Philippine side is looking for more American dairy goats.One order is for 500 heads and someone is looking for 1000 heads of Saanens.For those who might have been left out of the last imports,maybe this time you might be lucky enough to get something of real value.Lets see what the future holds.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

< >

Privacy Policy