Google
Pinoyagribusiness
March 28, 2024, 09:18:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
affordable vet products
News: A sow will farrow in approximately 114 days.

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: housing design  (Read 15993 times)
doods

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2008, 06:22:32 PM »

hi to all..
        sir...anu po ba yung design ng housing nyo??ito po ba yung katulad sa alaminos goat farm?magkakasama po ba silang laht sa isang pen o individually seperated?elevated din po ba?
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 06:52:01 PM »

Greetings!

I do not have a goat farm just to give an idea, goat house (farm) usually is elevated about 1.5 meter from the ground and the floor is kawayan. There is an inclined plane which served as the stairs of the animal. Roof height would be 2.5 to 3 meters

Some housing is just a box type with dirt flooring and a papag in the middle.

No pork for one week makes a man weak!!!
Baboy= Barako, inahin, fattener, kulig
Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 10:04:49 AM »

Hi,the problem with the 1-1.5 meter high floor is that it tends to be hard to get under to clean the ground well,our caretakers like the 7foot high floors better,easier to clean.Coconut wood and bamboo builds a nice house with a palm leaf roof.The one thing we have found so far is there are no termites around,they seem to hate the goats pee,keeps the termites away.
SUPPORT THE GOAT:
mikey/Region 7
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 05:05:13 PM »

Pee and termites...a possible termite control remedy..!!??

If you have a long housing then a 7 feet high housing would be great. and at the same time if you don't want to continue your goat farm you could easily convert it to a poultry house, dual purpose.

No pork for one week makes a man weak!!!
Baboy= Barako, inahin, fattener, kulig
Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 10:55:29 AM »

Doc,great idea,dual purpose,yes you will never have a termite problem if one has goats,and a all nature problem solver.
Support The Goat:
Region 7:
samX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:53:52 PM »

my farmhand is small so we just built a 3-4 feet elevaton...hehe
a 7 feet high is good...ventilation and ease of cleaning...

i have not seen wood goat house that is devastated by termites or "bukboks" but i have seen metal frames on goat house get rusted..

that's why when i created our small goat house i use plastic matting designed for goats framed on wood.then for the sidings and roofing i use metal.

our floor is cemented and is cleaned everyday coz the manure is collected.

semi intensive ang approach namin

here is our small goat/sheep house posing is our club secretary visiting the farm(theres some lambs inside)

here is our other goat house.i use these for the goats to be sold for slaughter.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:11:01 PM by samX » Logged

http://www.samorganicfarm.com/
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 06:56:35 AM »

SamX
very nice pictures,nice design
please keep posting as we are all in this industry together,the more people who post the better for the industry as a whole.
samX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 01:58:29 AM »

mikey,
ill be posting all that i could ill be accompanying you in these forums hehe...when i started again its really hard for me...luckily a bulacan club is being formed that time...im not an expert in the field i just hope i could help.

here's a fellow members housing:
EMAUS BIBLE CAMP-mang nards(UBGSRA president)

NOTE: they use wood because it is freely available in their place.they have to cut a tree so they used the tree to build a goat house.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 04:42:12 AM by samX » Logged

mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 03:37:09 AM »

SamX
really nice pictures.Our goat houses are wood also.I like wood better than metal myself.I would not call myself a goat expert,our interest lies in trying to understand the relationship between genetics and the environment verus nutrition.Mainly with the anglo breed and crossbreeding.We wish to understand what it will take to breed a milk goat suitable for a tropical climate.With all the different milk breeds now in the Philippines and different breeding strateries it is very interesting.It will be very interesting to see how far a dairy goat can be taken with breeding and its production of milk yield and lactation period.We can all share with gained information to help the industry as a whole.Some look to Australia as a model and some to N.America,myself I wish we could gain more information from India as I think India has a climate more or less related to dairy Philippines.Myself I take information gained from N.America as they have worked out many of the nutritional problems and disease problems and try to modify their information for a tropical country like the Philippines.
The goat industry in the Philippines is very interesting.The more people we can get to post the more we will all learn from each other,we are all in this together.
samX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 04:40:46 AM »

mikey,
dairy is good ill be venturing to dairy maybe someday...hopefully. pointers that we are trying tell beginners that goat raising is relly not that simple. unlike before that goats are just tethered or can roam freely. theres money in goats but they have to focus on forage,housing and genetics.
ill ask fellow members who have net access tovisit here. there are few of us who have access to the worldwideweb.some mebers dont even have their own email add. thats why we also share goat news,goat for sales,technologies,etc to those who dont have net access...

here is another farm:
AR-JAY Integrated FARM-
owner-ka efren abrtolome-nutrimix
intensive and they use pelletized feeds
one of the big,clen and expensive goat house ive seen.people are very hospitable there.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:37:35 AM by samX » Logged

mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 08:29:48 AM »

SamX
looks like a big commercial farm,,very nice.I agree with you,gone are the days when you could just let your goats roam around free to find their own feeds.Goats need alot of care to keep them healthy.We feed commercial concentrates and forage greens,commercial concentrates are needed for milking goats to help them produce milk.The people at MBRLC claim they feed their milking goats forage grasses and leaves and have good success,we tried their formula but our goats did not do so well.The more people we can attract here to this forum the better for the goat industry.The Doc. Nemo will let us post goats for sale from all over the country so people who are interested in goats can find a farm nearest to them to buy stocks for breeding or the meat trade.Maybe people who have forage grass seeds can post seeds for sale also.
Thanks SamX for your postings,people sometimes understand better with pictures.
samX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 12:02:48 AM »

mikey,
they're really into commercial feeding the goats ad libitum(if im not mistaken) with thier pelletized goat feed.they are more on producing breeders and formeat.im already trying their feeds coz its laborious for me to buy raw materials and mix my own.one big mistake i made is not to develope my forage i thought that what i have will be sufficient.most goat farm ive been cater only for breeder or for meat.the only dairy farm ive been to is at alaminos goat farm. i also want to venture into dairy maybe you could share some tips and tricks to me someday?..ill be getting an anglo buck this week to start again my goat project.
as a newbie im happy to see goat farm pics here in the PI and i am much happier to see it personally. goat farms abroads you can see pics on the net and its really different here.specially on housing designs.

ALAMINOS GOAT FARM
alaminos,laguna

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 12:09:53 AM by samX » Logged

mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 08:41:05 AM »

SamX
Thanks for the pictures of Alaminos Goat Farm,I always wanted to know what their farm looked like.I thought their floors would be higher off the ground,interesting.I did not realize AGF feed their goats concentrates adlib.We feed our goats concentrates 2 times per day morning and afternoon and forage greens inbetween.We use concentrates because the balance is correct from the manufacture already,trying to make your own is a hit and miss at best,expensive food commercial concentrates.We believe malunggay leaves will play a very important role in dairy Philippines and also mulberry leaves also but so far mulberry does not grow in our area but we hope to buy some seeds from someone and try to plant some later on.Very true the Philippines is one of the few countries that goats houses are off the ground and some people have a hard understanding why the houses are off the ground until you explain to them it has to do with the wet weather.Most countries including India have the goats live on the ground with some sort of straw for flooring to absorb the urine.
Good for you for getting a anglo buck.I will share any and all information I have with you and anyone else to help them out.

Good luck with your new goat,Anglos can be a very noisey goat,they talk alot.
samX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »

mikey,
correction alaminos is not the farm im referring to who feeds pelletized feeds ad libitum its ka efren barotlome's farm-the owner of NUTRIMIX feeds.
my goat feed mix i got the formula from a friend who's into goats long time..he got his formula from CLSU and revised it in some way applicable to him(resourcing of raw materials). the advantage of mixing my own is that i could seek for lower priced ingredients,the problem is mixing it throughly specially the vitamin-mineral ingredients. i go into mixing my own before coz i dont know where to buy feeds for my goats.other uses hog feeds, i dont want to put some stuffs like antibiotics on my goats.

how many grams of concentrate do you give?what concentrate do you use?what forage do you give...ive tried to plant mullberry it did nor grow in our place. ill be planting more malunggay before the rainy season.

one thing i like on philippine housing is it is easier to clean.hehehe(medyo tamad ako)...the higher to the ground  i think is better. around 4ft-6ft.it would be more costly but more economical in the long run.i dont really like cleaning floors and putting hay. we just did that last december2008-january2009 coz its really very cold.

unfortunatelly i didnt get the buck today coz its raining here all day. you cant really predict the weather now...

here is another farm pics:
jeff lim farm-jsj farm (if im not mistaken)

fellow cockers that accompany me in my trip.at the back are the goat houses

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:09:56 PM by samX » Logged

mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 01:40:15 AM »

SamX
Wow,some nice pictures and some good looking goats.Okay the feed owner feeds his goats pellets adlib.On average our goats get 250 grams of concentrates in the morning and 250 grams in the afternoon for a total of 500 grams per day but the boers get a little more because they are heavier.When the preg. does are 2-4 months preg they only get 250 grams per day until the last month then they go back to 500 grams per day,once they kid we increase slowly until they are up to 800-1000 grams per day,depends on the goat.Milking goats need alot of protein and calcium to produce milk.But we always add baking soda in their concentrates to prevent bloat,1 tablespoon in each serving,they get 2 tablespoons per day with 2 servings of concentrates.Overweight preg goats will cause you alot of problems.You have to adjust for each goat sometimes.The local store only carries one brand of concentrates because we are the only ones who use it.Comes from Cebu I think.We use to feed the goats hog concentrates because it was the only feed available.I am thinking about adding hog starter concentrates,higher protein level,21% or so when they are in milk to see if we can increase their milk yields and get a longer lactation period from them.So far our goats only have a short lacation period,nutrition is always something one will have to play and adjust with to get it right.In our area napier grass,para grass,katawate,rensonii,malunggay,banana leaves and stalks,kangkong the ipil-ipil gets eaten by the mites every year.That is what grows in our area.Every month they get injections of vitamin c and b12.Vinegar in the drinking water to keep the water cleaner.Looking into dried seaweed as a source of vitamins and extra minerals.
The caretakers like the higher floors for ease of cleaning but if a goat kids during the rainy season no good because the cold comes up from the bottom so the goats that kid are moved to another place with the floors close to the ground.Goats need alot of care and attention,our goats get their eye lids checked everyday for colour to check on worm loads to see if they need deworming.

mikey
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

< >

Privacy Policy