Google
Pinoyagribusiness
March 29, 2024, 08:19:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
affordable vet products
News: A sow will farrow in approximately 114 days.

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dairy Breeds-Anglo vs Saanen-whats the difference????????????????????????  (Read 739 times)
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2009, 09:25:54 AM »

First I would like to say that I have a great respect for Alaminos Goat Farm.I have waited for 2 years now for them to explain the differences between the 2 breeds.They have not so I will make it as simple to understand as possible.The SAANEN GOAT is a true dairy breed,meaning its genetic makeup to gearded towards milk production,good milk yields and 305 day lacation.Milk is its main function in life.The ANGLO GOAT is a dual purpose goat,meat/milk,its genetic makeup is split between 2 lines,one for milk and 1 for meat.In truth you will get milk and a meatier carcass,milk yields may be lower than a Saanen and most times with a shorter lactation period than the Saanen.The body structure of the Anglo is geared more towards meat production.Put both goats side by side and study their body structure,you will see some differences between the 2 breeds.Of all the dairy breeds its the Anglo that is known to have a nicer flavor of meat.I have seen many Anglos in N.America milk as well as a Saanen and sometimes better but selective breeding over many many years takes resources for all the R/D that is needed.

Alaminos Goat Farm is correct when they state that a dairy goat for dairy is better suited with the Saanen breed but if someone like ourselves who want both meat/dairy the Anglo is still a good choice to make.Depends on your management system and your goals for your operation.

It is also true that some very great milking goats have come from crossbreeding 2 breeds,out milking purebreeds at times.Crossbreeds at the f2 level we have found can make a decent milking goat,again selective breeding.Crossbreeds should not be overlooked as this makes more sense to increase the Philippine national herd.The main problem with crossbreeds in N.America is that the offspring from crossbreeds only have a value for meat production both male/female.The greatest number of commercial dairy operations only use purebreeds for milking.The value of the offspring from purebreeds have value for breeding stock.

Both have value but its your goals for your operation and the management practice you adopt that will be the deciding factor.

Goat-the other red meat:

What do I look for in a good milk goat,breed no importance:
-a doe with a long neck
-a doe with a long body
-a doe with long cannon bones in her front legs
-a doe without a high rump-high rumps can cause kidding problems down the road and a high rump gives a doe more fore utter making milking from behind more difficult.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:11:38 AM by mikey » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

< >

Privacy Policy