Google
Pinoyagribusiness
March 29, 2024, 10:29:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
affordable vet products
News: 150 days from birth is the average time you need to sell your pigs for slaughter and it is about 85 kgs on average.

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrading Pasture Land for Rotational Grazing  (Read 1952 times)
burauen

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2010, 08:11:07 PM »

I believe that in venturing into cattle farming or carabao farming, first one must take into cosideration is the availability of forages. This is the reason why I am starting to open on this new topic that focus on growing grass. I am asking  from somebody who could add some input in improving the pasture land by introducing other species of grass to add more nutrition for the cattle. Does anybody knows were to purchase a locally produce Bracharia decumbens seeds which I am planning to introduce into my pasture. And also does this stylo seeds from Ubay Bohol can grow in a whole year round to support for rotational grazing. Also, is this rye grass can be grown in Philippines? Any input from the group is highly appreciated.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this long post,
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 08:23:51 PM by burauen » Logged
DonT

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:41:08 AM »

I believe that a lot have been succesful with Napier Grass. If i'm not mistaken, there are people who are also selling seeds and cuttings of Napier for propagation/ planting.
burauen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 02:30:06 AM »

Sir DonT,

Napier Grass is excellent as forage since it is a species of grass native to the tropical grasslands like ours. However it is a tall perennial plant, growing to 2–4.5 meters (6.6–14.8 ft) tall, rarely up to 7.5 meters (25 ft) can definitely be a problem if introduce to coconut land for the harvesting of coconut. What I am trying to envision is a pasture land under coconut trees that can support rotational grazing for the whole year round. For this we are maximizing the output of the land. Does anybody have tried using Napier grass in rotational grazing under coconut plantation considering over stocking in controlling the height of Napier grass so that it will not go beyond 60 cm and not be a problem in harvesting of coconut. And is this Napier grass can be associated with legumes like stylo in order to have a 60:40 grass/legume mixture ratio to add more nutritive value of the forage? I am emphasizing here the rotational grazing to lessen the labor cost that will be incurred if it will be on a cut and carry basis of feeding the cattle. So if we can only develop a pasture land under coconut plantation that can support a whole year round of grazing for cattle, I guess this is great since we are not only maximizing the utilization of the land by introducing cattle but also increasing the coconut production through fertilization of coconut tree by the manure of the cattle that will produce. If a 450kg cow can produce 13.5kg of manure per day then it is like adding 4927kg of manure per year as a fertilizer for the coconut. Kindly share your comment it maybe a great help. Thank's.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 07:30:20 PM by burauen » Logged
burauen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 03:57:37 AM »

Sirs,

Anyone can advise were can acquire a Brachiaria brizantha, Centrosema pubescens, Centrosema molle Mart, Indigofera  and Mulberry cuttings or seeds here in Leyte or region 8 area. I am starting to establish my salad garden to be used in rotational grazing. This will be planted on a 7 hectare land so I will need a large number of volumes of planting material.
farmer.cdo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 04:24:16 PM »

hi,

8 cows from gensan just arrived last week and their daily food requirement is at 150 kilos of food............napier or corn. thats one heck of a green green grass of home.  so what i did was i planted 110 kilos of corn tad-tad stlye, just to be sure na di mauubusan. well we still have some napier around but this will only last for a month.  hope to learn more from this topic.

moo!
burauen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »

Hi Farmer.CDO,

From whom did you buy this 8 cows from gensan? I am looking for cattle supplier or breeder. My salad garden is about to be ready, but still looking for mulbery cutting to plant and bracharia decumbens seeds. Kindly let us know I am interested to buy 14 heads of heifer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

< >

Privacy Policy