Google
Pinoyagribusiness
March 28, 2024, 07:41:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
affordable vet products
News: 150 days from birth is the average time you need to sell your pigs for slaughter and it is about 85 kgs on average.

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Plans for Cattle Importation by DAR  (Read 1969 times)
DonT

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »

The government is importing more than a thousand cattle for P162 million to improve the genes of the local stock.

In a newspaper ad on Monday, the Agriculture department invited suppliers for 1,200 heads of purebred American Brahman cattle and 25 bulls.

The government has set the opening bid at P100,000.

American Brahman is the first beef cattle breed developed in the US that has been one of the top choices in crossbreeding programs due to its "exceptional hardiness and physical stamina, its ability to…live twice as long as normally expected," according to the Website of the American Brahman Breeders Association.

National Dairy Authority (NDA) Administrator Orkhan H. Usman earlier said his office had sought P450 million from the Budget for the cattle imports.

Prices of foreign cattle, he said go up yearly. Last year, P450 million could still buy about 4,000 heads of dairy cattle. At today’s price of P125,000 per head, the country can only buy 3,600 of the animals with the same budget.

The Philippines can supply only a percent of its dairy requirement, and growth in dairy production has slowed since 2006. The NDA’s goal is achieve liquid milk sufficiency in eight years. — Kristine Jane R. Liu, BusinessWorld (March 2010)
-----------------------------------------------
Anybody got news if this pushed thru?
burauen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 02:23:03 AM »

Sir,

I would like to know how can we aquire an imported Bhrahman Bull from the government through this Cattle Importation program by DAR. I am planning to venture into cattle farming and it is better if we can start the right breed that is suitable to our tropical climate. Please advise us to whom we can talk to, or agency that deals in the importation of Cattle. Thank you.
DonT

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 02:13:36 PM »

^The news item was published on March 2010. Not really sure if it pushed through.

What we are aware is the importation of Murrah Carabao.

As for buying 'imported' Brahman breeds. Mr. Ian Abalos (San Mateo, Rizal) and Mr. Edwin Sanchez (Lipa, Batangas) keeps and sells 'pure' Brahman Cattle.
burauen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:33:55 PM »

What we are aware is the importation of Murrah Carabao.

As for buying 'imported' Brahman breeds. Mr. Ian Abalos (San Mateo, Rizal) and Mr. Edwin Sanchez (Lipa, Batangas) keeps and sells 'pure' Brahman Cattle.

Sir DonT,

Is it possible to buy a cattle from Luzon and be brought to Leyte? I believe there is a restriction on transporting any cattle from luzon to FMD free zone. Or can you refer anybody who has a purebreed brahman heifer and bull from FMD free zone area that has no restriction on transporting to Tacloban Leyte? I am very much interested in aquiring a pair of purebreed brahman. Can I have a contact number of Mr. Sanchez maybe they can arranged this restriction of FMD free zone through proper quarantine procedure. I really don't have any idea on cattle farming please need your advise.

Also with regards to Murrah Carabao I am very much interested in aquiring it in fact I just recently bought 3 native carabao and planning it to cross breed with murrah breed. If you know somebody who has a for sale of Murrah Bull please let me know. Thank you.
molave

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:03:17 PM »

very expensive!  an ordinary farmer cannot afford to have one.
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »

I do believe in some areas meron naman AI ang government. Imported abroad din.

No pork for one week makes a man weak!!!
Baboy= Barako, inahin, fattener, kulig
Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
DonT

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 08:27:55 AM »

Randy Favis of Masbate I think is nearer. I beleive they occasionally ship cattle to luzon and other places as well. PM me your email and I'll send you the contact details.

burauen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 05:32:42 PM »

Sir DonT,

Thank you sa response, any idea on how much will it cost me if I will get a Bull and a heifer per au. a pure breed brahman?
molave

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 08:53:34 PM »

thats right sir nemo why not intensify n lang natin A.I services sa mga backyard farmers.  A friend of mine who have avail A.I service  fattened his 50% Simbrah wieghs 515 kgs in 2yrs and 8mos.
DonT

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 09:09:15 AM »

I am trying to search for AI services in my area in Bocaue...but no success. If you guys know, pls post details please.

@Buraen, normally they cost from around 80K @ 1.5 to 2 yrs.

A full grown purebred brahman bull is a sight to behold. When I was younger, I remember the time when the Karitons which sell different native products where being pulled by Brahman Bulls..Those days are gone. Kabayo na lang ang panghatak ngayon.  Cheesy
burauen

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 03:23:58 AM »

Sir Nemo,

Is there a government program that deals with cattle semen importation wherein we can order and specify what breed we can import? This would be a great help to those farmer with limited fund that would like to upgrade their herd. If anyone knows somebody who does AI for cattle in region 8 or in Leyte kindly refer me to them. Thank you.
nemo
Veterinarian
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 09:51:02 PM »

ASk your provincial veterinarian kung meron silang project na ganito. I remember, one province in central luzon meron silang AI on which imported semen ang gamit nila.

Usually kasi, It is either DA, NDA or PVO ang gumagawa nito.

No pork for one week makes a man weak!!!
Baboy= Barako, inahin, fattener, kulig
Pig feeds=Breeder/gestating, lactating, booster, prestarter, starter, grower, finisher.
Swine Manual Raffle
mikey
FARM MANAGER

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 11:06:23 AM »

I would hate to rain on your parade but the brahman is not looked upon as a top meat animal here in N.America.True this breed seems better suited to hot climates but here we view this breed as the McDonalds of the meat breeds.It is ground up for hamburger and sold in hamburger form in fast food industries.Now if you want great tasting beef,the angus either red or black or a herford (short horn) is the best tasting beef in N.America.The brahman is used in open range conditions making it cheaper to produce but considered lower quality meat overall.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

< >

Privacy Policy