Google

Author Topic: Upgrading Pasture Land for Rotational Grazing  (Read 9776 times)

burauen

• View Profile
Upgrading Pasture Land for Rotational Grazing
« on: July 07, 2010, 08:11:07 PM »
 I believe that in venturing into cattle farming or carabao farming, first one must take into cosideration is the availability of forages. This is the reason why I am starting to open on this new topic that focus on growing grass. I am asking  from somebody who could add some input in improving the pasture land by introducing other species of grass to add more nutrition for the cattle. Does anybody knows were to purchase a locally produce Bracharia decumbens seeds which I am planning to introduce into my pasture. And also does this stylo seeds from Ubay Bohol can grow in a whole year round to support for rotational grazing. Also, is this rye grass can be grown in Philippines? Any input from the group is highly appreciated.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this long post,
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 08:23:51 PM by burauen »

DonT

• View Profile
Re: Upgrading Pasture Land for Rotational Grazing
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:41:08 AM »
I believe that a lot have been succesful with Napier Grass. If i'm not mistaken, there are people who are also selling seeds and cuttings of Napier for propagation/ planting.

burauen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 02:30:06 AM »
Sir DonT,

Napier Grass is excellent as forage since it is a species of grass native to the tropical grasslands like ours. However it is a tall perennial plant, growing to 2–4.5 meters (6.6–14.8 ft) tall, rarely up to 7.5 meters (25 ft) can definitely be a problem if introduce to coconut land for the harvesting of coconut. What I am trying to envision is a pasture land under coconut trees that can support rotational grazing for the whole year round. For this we are maximizing the output of the land. Does anybody have tried using Napier grass in rotational grazing under coconut plantation considering over stocking in controlling the height of Napier grass so that it will not go beyond 60 cm and not be a problem in harvesting of coconut. And is this Napier grass can be associated with legumes like stylo in order to have a 60:40 grass/legume mixture ratio to add more nutritive value of the forage? I am emphasizing here the rotational grazing to lessen the labor cost that will be incurred if it will be on a cut and carry basis of feeding the cattle. So if we can only develop a pasture land under coconut plantation that can support a whole year round of grazing for cattle, I guess this is great since we are not only maximizing the utilization of the land by introducing cattle but also increasing the coconut production through fertilization of coconut tree by the manure of the cattle that will produce. If a 450kg cow can produce 13.5kg of manure per day then it is like adding 4927kg of manure per year as a fertilizer for the coconut. Kindly share your comment it maybe a great help. Thank's.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 07:30:20 PM by burauen »

burauen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 03:57:37 AM »

Sirs,

Anyone can advise were can acquire a Brachiaria brizantha, Centrosema pubescens, Centrosema molle Mart, Indigofera  and Mulberry cuttings or seeds here in Leyte or region 8 area. I am starting to establish my salad garden to be used in rotational grazing. This will be planted on a 7 hectare land so I will need a large number of volumes of planting material.

farmer.cdo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 04:24:16 PM »
hi,

8 cows from gensan just arrived last week and their daily food requirement is at 150 kilos of food............napier or corn. thats one heck of a green green grass of home.  so what i did was i planted 110 kilos of corn tad-tad stlye, just to be sure na di mauubusan. well we still have some napier around but this will only last for a month.  hope to learn more from this topic.

moo!

burauen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »
Hi Farmer.CDO,

From whom did you buy this 8 cows from gensan? I am looking for cattle supplier or breeder. My salad garden is about to be ready, but still looking for mulbery cutting to plant and bracharia decumbens seeds. Kindly let us know I am interested to buy 14 heads of heifer.

ralenes1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 04:52:22 PM »
hi i am also in the same situation as u are, i've heard an article about a super napier grass invented by a thailander and was feature in Manila Bulletin, i contacted the author of Manila Bulletin and the thai inventor and never heard back from them. we have a napier grass here but not the super that i am looking for, check it out in the internet and maybe you get lucky and share it with me.

sweaters

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 02:31:49 AM »
Copied from Alaminos farm FB post.

What's so special about Pakchong 1, the Super Napier?
 When we speak of forage grasses, Pakchong 1, the Super
Napier is usually the topic of conversation in most animal farms these days. I first heared about this variety from our Magsasaka Siyentista and Villaba's top goat raiser Wilson Arnado, Sr. in the early part of 2014 when he told me he was given a few cuttings of Pakchong 1 napier during a field trip somewhere in Leyte.
 My interest and curiosity grew when Mr. Zac B. Sarian, the Editor of Agriculture magazine wrote an article about Oberhasli goat in the said magazine's September 2014 issue and stated that Pakchong 1 napier is the latest addition to forage crops in the Alaminos Salad Garden of Rene Almeda's Alaminos Goat Farm. Mr. Zac B. Sarian showed a picture of Pakchong 1 napier and I noticed the variety has broader leaves compaired to King napier and other existing varieties.
 When I attended a training on Exploring Organic Agriculture Practices: Enhancing Consumers' Awareness at ATI- RTC 8, Visayas State University, ViSCA, Baybay, City last April 22-24, 2015, we were brought on a field trip to some organic farms in Ormoc City one of which farms is owned by Mrs. Socorro Codilla located in Brgy. San Jose. She showed us her Pakchong 1 napier growing vigorously, its broader leaves are
 very much noticeable compared to other napier varieties and very much similar to what was shown by Mr. Za-B. Sarian in his article.
 Mrs. Codilla said the cuttings of Pakchong 1 napier were sent to her through LBC by her son in Thailand. She added that, like the papaya and kangkong leaves, she also uses Pakchong 1 napier as feed for her pigs. Seeing the general stand of Pakchong 1 napier in her forage garden, I believe that this napier variety has a potential of producing a higher herbage yield per square meter compared to King napier and other varieties.
 Another good thing about Pakchong 1 napier which is very important is that it is not itchy

Mustang Sally Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 02:08:37 AM »
The Super Napier is easy to buy and all raisers today are planting and using it,grows fast and tall, like sugar cane.I can help put people in touch with those who sell it.I have bought it and had it shipped to my farm no problem.Some of the seeds you are asking is not common to me but I can tell you who sell seeds of stylo and centro and others like acid ipil-ipil and others if you want the contact names.But yes the super napier is the latest for livestock raising today and some are even going into azolla growing for livestock feeds also.I other thing I have found in the pass year was the need to supplement all our goats and cattle with mineral booster as it seems your soil may be lacking in enough minerals to keep your livestocks healthy.Minerals seem to work better if taken in orally over injection.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:25:04 AM by Mustang Sally Farm »

Mustang Sally Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 05:27:22 AM »
Pakchong Super Napier Grass Starter Pack.
 50 cuttings @ P5.00 per cutting. Plus LBC delivery. Mas mababa na ang babayaran sa LBC kse 50 cuttings na ang minimum.

Madali naman padamihin ang pakchong super napier grass kaya pwede na mag start sa 50 cuttings.

250 for 50 cuttings
 350 for LBC Luzon
 400 for LBC Visayas/Mindanao

Text or call
 09206476640 / 025141174

Swanlane, Baybreeze Executive Village, Taguig City

< >

Privacy Policy